- Continue to research for substances of new values, and conduct research on innovative food/nutraceutical technologies.
- Develop technology can greater utilize and transform waste into the precious food nutrients and health care ingredients.
SmartPEP, a BC Richmond-based biotech company, is a leading vegetable protein hydrolysates (peptides) research and development organization. SmartPEP adopted superior polypeptide technology to fully preserve the nutrients in natural foods, and to fully utilize the function of the food, as well as to ensure the food is easily absorbed and metabolized by our body.
In 2016, SmartPEP, collaboration with National Research Council of Canada (NRC), develops flax protein hydrolysate (peptide) and Flax gum by using proprietary promising enzyme-enhanced aqueous extraction process. SmartPEP and the NRC are partnering on a current research project focused on Bioprocess Development towards the Full Utilization of Flaxseed Meal for Flax Gum and Protein Hydrolysates and Process Optimization for Peptide and Gum Extraction from Flaxseed Meal with funding from the Bio-based Specialty Chemicals (BSC) Program.
These collaborative projects will lead SmartPEP to:
- Develop, patent and license a clean extraction process, a viable approach to extract high-quality specialty chemicals, such as flaxseed gum, protein/peptide from the meal.
- Increase the profitability and full utilization of the flaxseed meal.
- Accelerate SmartPEP flax protein hydrolysates commercial development timeline.
In 2017, a 5-years term project Market Assessment and Bioprocess Development towards the Full Utilization of Flaxseed Meal for Flax Gum and Protein Hydrolysates (Project No. 889861) is funded by the National Research Council of Canada Industrial Research Assistance Program (NRC-IRAP). Thanks to support from the NRC-IRAP, SmartPEP can develop proprietary food-derived peptide technologies, accelerate the growth of our business through innovation and technology, and successfully commercialize them in a global marketplace.